Perfumes and Fragrances: Can You Buy Online Without Testing Them First?
By Emma Wanjiku | Submitted On February 26, 2021
Perfumes and fragrances have been used by many cultures over centuries with one goal in mind: to incorporate fascinating scents that smell really nice. Scents have the power to change your emotions, mood and even elicit good memories. A pleasant fragrance is a sign of goodwill and for others, it is a tool to draw in a potential mate. In the 21st century, scents are also used to define character and personality. For many, wearing a suitable scent is like wearing a piece of clothing. Fragrances have become part of us and their role cannot be underplayed.
Today, you have thousands of choices when it comes to perfumes and colognes. These scents are also readily available over the Internet. To this end, your favorite fragrance is only a click away. Buying perfumes and scents online is easy and convenient. However, to choose the best scent, you must arm yourself with the right information on various scents and their attributes. This guide breaks it all down for you. This way, you can buy a perfume confidently online without smelling it first. To build your buying confidence, start by learning about various fragrances and notes.
What exactly are fragrance notes?
Fragrances are mainly created using three layers of scents. This trinity of notes work together seamlessly and they are; the top note, the middle note and the base note. Every layer of note serves a distinct purpose and below is an explanation on the same.
As alluded to above, the topmost scents are perceived first and they are the top notes. They are normally strong scents which evaporate quickly owing to their volatile nature. These notes are commonly described as sharp, strong, fresh and assertive. Some of the most common top notes to find in perfumes and fragrances are ginger and citrus scents.
Once the cover or top notes have evaporated or dissipated, you will smell the middle notes. These scents are therefore seen as the body or the heart of the fragrance. They are also known as heart notes. They are used to mask the base notes which will be highlighted below. After the fragrance has been applied, you will find that middle notes may take 2 minutes to an hour to appear. Rose and lavender scents are the most common middle notes of many fragrances.
These notes are known to form the depth of any perfume. After the first two notes can no longer be perceived, the base notes hold the compounds together. These deep scents are usually perceived after 30 minutes because they are heavy in nature. Scents extracted from plant resins, musk and vetiver are some of the top examples of base notes used to create fragrances.
Different kinds of scents and their perfume strengths
Scents will carry different depths and perfume strengths. You may choose a very strong scent or a light one depending on your preference. Below is an overview and classification of various scents to find online.
Splashes – If you really want a light touch of scents, splashes are the best way to do it. They usually contain 1 to 8% perfume. Some people call them mists.
Eau de cologne – These are scents that will carry anywhere between 3 to 8% perfume. They are stronger than splashes and are great for making a bolder statement.
Eau de toilette – These fragrances are much stronger than the above two types. They contain 5 to 15% perfume.
Eau de parfum – If you are looking for a scent that delivers up to 20% perfume, this is a great choice.
Solid perfume – These scents will have up to 15% perfume and come in form of balms. They are usually made from oil and bees wax bases.
The major scents to find in fragrances
A main classification of fragrances categorizes scents into four kinds. This includes citrus, floral, oriental and woodsy scents.
Citrus scents are known for their fresh appeal. They are considered clean and tangy. If you love citrus fruits and how they come across, you might have a liking for citrus fragrances.
Floral scents are mainly rosy and are associated with female perfumes. They are delicate and soft; and having a floral theme can really showcase your personality and give you a feminine appeal.
Woodsy scents will give you very strong and deep notes that are woody. Sandalwood and patchouli notes also have that earthy and woodsy appeal.
If you have a thing for vanilla, musk and oriental resins, then oriental scents are made just for you. They are more powerful than floral and citrus scents and are great for making a strong statement.
How to choose your personal scent
Every person has a preferred scent, just like they have a chosen style of wearing clothing. Indeed, if you are actively wearing fragrances, you have an idea of what pleases you. However, if you are new to scents, it is critical to choose a style that will speak about your persona. The scent should enhance who you are and give you the confidence and vitality. If you are not sure what you like, below are a few tips to get you started in the right direction.
– If you are feminine and prefer something romantic and delicate, you will be more inclined to floral scents. These are some of the most preferred by women and men who want to showcase their femininity. Floral scents are appealing and will ignite the right mood to your delight.
– On the other hand, if you prefer something sexy and edgy, you should look into woodsy scents. This is a sure way to be bold and unapologetic with your notes of choice. Both men and women can find the right sexy scents online.
– For those who adore simplicity, keeping it clean is the right thing to do. Citrus scents will go a long way in helping you display what you are all about. This is certainly a minimalist approach that is bound to boost your presence.
– If you are looking for a contemporary, bold and edgy scent, choosing oriental fragrances will work very well with your agenda. These perfumes are daring and help you highlight your persona as a go-getter and as a fashion-forward person.
The ultimate guide to buying perfumes and fragrances online
1. Choose the scents the suit you best
The guide on scents and notes provided above will help you decide what suits you. In this respect, you want to choose a fragrance at an online store that works for you. If you want to try out new scents, use the information above to land on the most preferred scent. From floral to oriental and citrus, there are so many options available online.
2. Always shop from a trusted online seller
Not all online shops will sell you high quality products. In light of this, you have to be very careful about the platform you use. Some manufacturers will sell their scents directly to you over the Internet. However, many online shops will carry products from an assortment of manufacturers. Read reviews and see what others say about the online retailer. Some due diligence will go a long way in choosing the best shop.
3. Take advantage of sample programs
Yes, there are companies that allow you to smell the perfumes and fragrances first, before buying them online. These programs will see you receive a few samples of the scents available or those you are interested in. Therefore, if you like to shop with the traditional comforts of testing the product first, you can do so before buying perfumes online. Just search for sample programs in your chosen location or area. You really have nothing to lose this way.
4. Consider your budget
Perfumes and fragrances can fit into an array of budgets. Cheaper scents do not necessarily imply low quality. However, some very poor quality scents are sold at a throw-away price by some online shops. Therefore, know the budget you are working with. Then, match your desired product without compromising the quality. If you prefer designer scents, you will definitely have to part with more money. Avoid replicas or counterfeit designer brands. Instead, choose niche brands that have affordable products of the right quality.
5. Get all the fragrance information before buying
As hinted above, you must always know the notes used to create the scent you want. Go a step further to learn about all the ingredients used. Information on application of scents is also crucial. For example, learn about the best summer scents or scents for spring. Look at the product packaging and even branding. All these elements must inform and appeal to you accordingly. Know how to use the scent as well and what to expect with the fragrances therein. An online seller who does not provide comprehensive information in this respect will be doing you a disservice.
6. Get familiar with the return policies
If you need to return the perfume, how do you go about it? This information will be provided in the policy section of the online seller. If it is a good policy that will allow you to get quality products, you should definitely agree to those policies. If you feel like the policies are too rigid, you can use another website to your delight. Also, learn about the shipping duration in addition to the shipping charges.
7. Go for offers and discounts on perfumes and fragrances
Scents that are discounted are great because they save you money. Many online shops will have great deals that you cannot miss. Take full advantage of this even as you test new scents in the market. Also compare scents on various platforms and see the differences that can help you save money. This way, you can determine quality as you read through user reviews on various sites.
Quick fun facts about perfumes
– Scientific evidence has shown that scents can alter your mood for the better. If you want to relax, use lavender and if you want an energy surge, use citrus.
– Animals have provided raw materials to make perfumes for a long time. Examples being musk, honeycomb, civet, castoreum and ambergris. By the way, ambergris is vomit from whales. Derived from the intestines of sperm whales.
– Plants are awesome sources of scents. Seeds, wood, fruits, leaves, resins, roots, barks and lichens can all be used to formulate new scents.
– Perfume is a word derived from the Latin language ‘per fume’ which means ‘through smoke’. In the early days, perfumes were made using spices and herbs including coriander and frankincense.
– The most expensive perfume ever was sold for $1 million. The DKNY Golden Delicious fragrance bottle was created by the noted designer DKNY in collaboration with jewellery designer Martin Katz. The money was donated to charity.
– The perfume industry is worth nearly $50 billion worldwide.
– More and more people are opting to buy their perfumes and fragrances online. This is mainly due to the variety, convenience and access to high quality scents.