Learning English with Songs: Benefits and Resources
Listening to songs is a great way to learn English! Songs can help you improve your listening skills, vocabulary, pronunciation, and even grammar. There are many benefits to learning English with songs, such as:
- Songs are fun and enjoyable. They can motivate you to learn more and make you feel positive about your progress.
- Songs are memorable. They can help you remember words and phrases that you hear in the lyrics. Music can also activate different parts of your brain and enhance your memory.
- Songs are authentic. They can expose you to natural and colloquial language that native speakers use in real life. You can also learn about the culture and emotions of the people who sing them.
- Songs are diverse. They can cover a wide range of topics, styles, and genres. You can choose songs that match your interests, preferences, and level of difficulty.
If you want to learn English with songs, here are some tips and resources that you can use:
- Choose songs that are in English and that you like. You can find many English songs on music streaming services, YouTube, or online radio stations. You can also search for songs by genre, artist, or theme on websites like LyricsTraining or FluentU.
- Listen to the songs carefully and try to understand the lyrics. You can find the lyrics online or on some music apps. You can also use websites like LearnEnglish or Kaplan International to get step-by-step guides on how to learn English with songs.
- Read the lyrics and learn new words and phrases. You can use a dictionary or a translator to look up the meaning of unfamiliar words. You can also use websites like LyricsTraining or FluentU to get interactive exercises and quizzes based on the lyrics.
- Notice the pronunciation and grammar of the lyrics. You can listen to how the words are pronounced and how they fit the rhythm of the music. You can also notice how the grammar rules are applied or sometimes broken in the lyrics. You can use websites like EF English Live or FluentU to get explanations and examples of pronunciation and grammar points in the lyrics.
- Listen again and join in with the lyrics. You can sing along with the songs or repeat after the singers. You can also record yourself singing or speaking the lyrics and compare your pronunciation with the original. You can use apps like Smule or Sing! Karaoke to sing with other people online.
By following these tips and using these resources, you can make learning English with songs a fun, effective, and rewarding experience! Is there anything else I could help you with
Here’s an exercise you can do while listening to “Imagine” by John Lennon to practice your English language skills:
Exercise: Fill in the Blanks
Listen to the song “Imagine” by John Lennon and fill in the blanks with the missing words. Pay attention to the lyrics and try to complete the sentences correctly.
Imagine there's no __________ It's easy if you __________ No __________ below us Above us, only __________ Imagine all the people Living for today, ah Imagine there's no __________ It isn't hard to __________ Nothing to kill or __________ for And no __________ too Imagine all the people Living life in __________ You may say I'm a __________ But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll __________ us And the world will be as one Imagine no __________ I wonder if you __________ No need for __________ or __________ A brotherhood of __________ Imagine all the people Sharing all the __________ You may say I'm a __________ But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll __________ us And the world will live as one
Once you’ve filled in the blanks, you can compare your answers with the original lyrics of the song to see how well you did. This exercise will not only help you improve your listening skills but also enhance your vocabulary and understanding of sentence structure in English. Enjoy practicing with the beautiful lyrics of “Imagine”!
There are many popular English songs that people enjoy listening to. Some of the current popular English songs according to the Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week of August 12, 2023 are:
- “Last Night” by Morgan Wallen1
- “Fast Car” by Luke Combs1
- “Meltdown” by Travis Scott featuring Drake1
- “Cruel Summer” by Taylor Swift1
- “FE!N” by Travis Scott featuring Playboi Carti1